    SubjectRE: My thoughts on the "new development model"
    Date

    > There seems to be a lot of strange notions on this concept of
    > 'stable'. The only thing that makes a kernel 'stable' is
    > time. Not endless bugfixes. Just time. The idea of stable
    > software is software that not going to give you any suprises,
    > software that you can trust.
    >
    > That's NOT the same as bug free software. For a start,
    > there's no such thing. For another, many bugs are perfectly
    > acceptable in a production environment as long as they're not
    > impacting. (The linux kernel is a very large piece of work.
    > Few installations would use even 20% of the total kernel
    > functionality).

    Yes, perfectly right.
    You would agree (for example) that this:

    > On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Danny Brow wrote:
    >
    > Ok, thank you for the feedback, glad you fixed your problem.
    > Now I guess we just need for someone to find out why
    > LEGACY_PTYS breaks
    > ssh (and other apps?) with kernels >= 2.6.9, but I'm afraid
    > thats beyond

    Does not reflect the behaviour of a stable kernel.
    Yes, of course, there's the workaround. But I don't think this bug is
    not impacting.

    I repeat once again. To me something is going in the wrong direction.

    Massimo

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.023 / U:1.728 seconds]