SubjectRe: Concerns about our pci_{save,restore}_state()
On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 16:31 -0500, Greg KH wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 02:06:22PM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > Hi Greg !
> >
> > I was looking at our "generic" pci_save_state() and pci_restore_state()
> > and I have various concerns with them, I was wondering what you though
> > about them...
>
> Note, these concerns are the same before the last pci_save_state()
> changes, right? I didn't break anything new did I? :)

Yes, those are generic concerns I had for a while :)

> > - We should always write the command register after all the BARs,
> > typically that mean write it back _last_
>
> Hm, probably. I'm away from my PCI book, so I don't really know about
> that one. For some reason we've been ok so far...

Proably not a problem in 99% of the cases, but sounds saner to do (oh,
and did I tell you that Darwin does this ? :) I think it may even be
better to 1) turn IO & MEM off in the command reg, 2) restore the stuff,
3) restore the command reg.

> > - We shouldn't write to the BIST register, it is defined as having
> > side effects and writing to it any value may trigger a BIST on the
> > card, with all the possible bad consequences that has
>
> yeah, good point. I guess most of these cards don't have BIST stuff in
> them. Or just writing back the read value is sane. I'll dig through
> the PCI book next week.

Well, some cards will have side effects, whatever you write there (like
going offline for a while, remember that thread about those nasty IBM
scsi controllers needing special workaround for this ? :)

> We need to have a "bridge" driver for something like that. I think lots
> of things would benifit if we had that. But if we had that, we need a
> way to overload (or weight) different drivers that might bind to the
> same device.

Yes, which is why, in the meantime, just knowing about them in
save/restore and just saving/restoring a bit more is an acceptable
solution I think ....

--
Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@kernel.crashing.org>