    On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 08:10:04AM -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:
    > On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 04:06:20PM +0200, Xavier Bestel wrote:
    > > Le jeu 28/10/2004 ?? 15:53, Larry McVoy a ??crit :
    > >
    > > > The reason it is worded that way is so that we avoid the situation where
    > > > one guy is doing the work on $SCM and the other guy is sitting there
    > > > running BK commands in order to reverse engineer BK.
    > >
    > > I don't think you can stop that from happening, legally.
    > Since you haven't paid for the product, copyright law applies and
    > that's quite different than contract law. You get a certain set
    > of rights, which vary worldwide, when you buy something. Copyright
    > is far more restrictive.

    US copyright law isn't the only one in the world...

    > "Fair use" != "reverse engineering" in any venue so far as I know.

    German copyright law explicitely allows every person allowed to use a
    program to observe and test this program for getting the ideas behind
    the program as long as you can do this through normal usage of the

    If you aren't building a similar program but require disassembling for
    interoperability, this is explicitely allowded.

    According to German copyright law, any licence clauses that violate
    these rules are void [1].

    Note that German copyright lay doesn't differentiate whether you paid
    or not - it only requires that you allowed to use the program.

    > As always, IANAL, so contact yours for clarification.

    These are paragraphs 69d(3), 69e and 69g(2) of German copyright law -
    IANAL, but the text of the law is pretty unambiguous.

    [1] the clauses are void, not the licence itself

    - --

    "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
    Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

    Version: GnuPG v1.2.6 (GNU/Linux)

    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.020 / U:3.492 seconds]