On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 08:10:04AM -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 04:06:20PM +0200, Xavier Bestel wrote:
> > Le jeu 28/10/2004 ?? 15:53, Larry McVoy a ??crit :
> >
> > > The reason it is worded that way is so that we avoid the situation where
> > > one guy is doing the work on $SCM and the other guy is sitting there
> > > running BK commands in order to reverse engineer BK.
> >
> > I don't think you can stop that from happening, legally.
> Since you haven't paid for the product, copyright law applies and
> that's quite different than contract law. You get a certain set
> of rights, which vary worldwide, when you buy something. Copyright
> is far more restrictive.

US copyright law isn't the only one in the world...

> "Fair use" != "reverse engineering" in any venue so far as I know.

German copyright law explicitely allows every person allowed to use a
program to observe and test this program for getting the ideas behind
the program as long as you can do this through normal usage of the

If you aren't building a similar program but require disassembling for
interoperability, this is explicitely allowded.

According to German copyright law, any licence clauses that violate
these rules are void [1].

Note that German copyright lay doesn't differentiate whether you paid
or not - it only requires that you allowed to use the program.

> As always, IANAL, so contact yours for clarification.

These are paragraphs 69d(3), 69e and 69g(2) of German copyright law -
IANAL, but the text of the law is pretty unambiguous.

[1] the clauses are void, not the licence itself

- --

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

Version: GnuPG v1.2.6 (GNU/Linux)