    SubjectRe: HARDWARE: Open-Source-Friendly Graphics Cards -- Viable?
    Helge Hafting wrote:

    >Or one could go the other way - if we use 32 bits, then
    >consider 10 bits per color. I've always wondered about the purpose
    >of a 8-bit alpha channel. what exactly is supposed to show
    >in "transparent" places? Transparency makes sense when talking about
    >windows - you see the underlying window through a transparent spot.
    >But this is the frame buffer we're talking about - what is
    >supposed to be behind that? Another frame buffer?
    Well, The Hauppage 350 via the ivtv driver provides a framebuffer 'OSD'
    (On Screen Display) that overlays the hardware video (as in TV) layer.
    Transparency determines how much of the video shows through.

    It's good having a framebuffer that can run X (or whatever) overlayed
    onto the video stream.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.022 / U:8.420 seconds]