SubjectRe: Intel also needs convincing on firmware licensing.
Date
On Wednesday 27 October 2004 22:25, Han Boetes wrote:
>Hi,
>
>The people from the OpenBSD project are currently lobbying to get
> the firmware for Intel wireless chipsets under a license suitable
> for Open Source.
>
>Since this will not only benefit BSD but also the Linux Project (and
>even Intel) I would like to mention the URL here for people who want
> to help writing to Intel.
>
> http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20041027193425

Please be aware that for the so-called "software radios"
chips/chipsets, the FCC, and other similar regulating bodies in other
countries has made access to the data quite restrictive in an attempt
to keep the less ruly among us from putting them on frequencies they
aren't authorized to use, or to set the power levels above whats
allowed. These restrictions can vary from governing body to
governing body so the software is generally supplied according to
where the chipset is being shipped. The potential for mischief, and
legal/monetary reprecussions is sufficiently great that I have
serious doubts that Intel will budge from their current position
unless we can prove, beyond any doubt, that the regulatory
limitations imposed will not be violated.

Since open source, where anyone who can read the code can see exactly
what the limits are, and 'adjust to suit', virtually guarantees
miss-use, sooner if not later, for no other reason than its human
nature to experiment, Intel/moto/etc therefore has very good reasons
to treat its chip<->software interface as highly secret &
proprietary.

Thats not saying that they may at some point furnish a 'filter' that
presents the rest of the world with a usable API to control it, but
the filter will see to it that attempted illegal settings are
ignored. The only way I can see that actually working is to actually
put that filter inside the chip, customized for the locale its being
shipped to. The radio control portion of the chip itself wouldn't
even be bonded out to external world pins or bga contacts, just the
port of the filter that the outside world talks to.

I'd rather doubt they want to make 20 to 40 different filtered
versions of the same chipset just to satisfy TPTB in some 3rd world
country thats less than 1% of the total sales. Even the relatively
dense market where Han lives is probably less than 5% of the total
for a popular chipset.

I'm a broadcast engineer who has been dealing at times with the FCC
for over 40 years, so you could say I'm biased. But thats not real
bias, its just from being fairly familiar with the regulatory
territory.

I'd like to see an open source solution to this problem myself, but
just because its open source we are asking for, with the attendent
liabilities that implies, I would not hold my breath till it happens.

If you do, you'll probably be talking to the rest of the world through
a Ouija board.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:1.312 / U:0.060 seconds]