    SubjectRe: 2.6.10-mm1, class_simple_* and GPL addition
    On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 09:55:41PM +0200, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
    > On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 21:17 +0200, Petr Vandrovec wrote:
    > > VMware's vmnet is broken by this too. VMware was asked by RedHat to
    > > add udev compatibility to the code, and now you are saying that both
    >
    > who in Red Hat (notice the space) asked you this? I'm not aware of any
    > official request to vmware to do this...

    I assumed that email I received from Warren Togami was official notice that
    RHEL4 is going to be udev based and that as vmnet does not currently create
    its device nodes in /dev, something should be done about it.

    As this request was quite popular, and doing it properly through sysfs
    instead of doing several mknods when initscripts run, I filled internal
    bug report that RHEL4 will use udev and vmnet should be compatible with
    it. And then I implemented some minimal sysfs support.

    Week after that I saw first email from Greg changing sysfs_driver_* & co.
    to GPL only. I did not worry as this set did not comtain class_simple,
    and so I assumed that I'm doing nothing wrong. But today I noticed
    that even class_simple is GPL only in -mm.

    It was not lot of work, I'd say under 1 hour, but it just does not seem
    correct to me, changing symbols visibility after people start using them.

    OK, next beta will do several mknods in /etc/init.d/vmware script.
    Not technically nice, but working.
    Petr Vandrovec

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.028 / U:29.316 seconds]