SubjectRe: My thoughts on the "new development model"

Marcos D. Marado Torres wrote:
| On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, John Richard Moser wrote:
|
|>> What I *am* aiming for is getting a few security enhancements included
|>> in mainline for several Linux distributions, starting with Debian and
|>> Ubuntu. This will predictibly create a blockage at 2.6.7 (where
|>> PaX/GRSec are, since those are a major part of the scheme); they won't
|>> be able to upgrade past there without losing a major protection, and the
|>> authors will likely continue to simply sit around and wait for 2.6 to
|>> stop changing so damn much.
|

| Well, if your target is Debian and Ubunto for starts, then you're
| discussing
| this in the wrong mailing list.
| BTW, on Debian/unstable:

[...]

| If you think the blockage is going to happen in 2.6.7, think twice.

That's where the stuff I want put in is.

http://lwn.net/Articles/106214/
http://d-sbd.alioth.debian.org/
http://pax.grsecurity.net/
http://grsecurity.net/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PaX

PaX sits currently at 2.6.7 (and grsec is tied to PaX quite deeply, so
it sits there as well), so there's no using that for now past 2.6.7.
I've heard rumors of it getting some up-porting after a new component is
properly done (recall my assertions about having to chose between
chasing mainline and doing real work), but it's up to the PaX Team if
they want to do that or if they're just going to wait for a fork 2.6/2.7.

| Mind Booster Noori

| Marcos Daniel Marado Torres AKA Mind Booster Noori
| http://student.dei.uc.pt/~marado - marado@student.dei.uc.pt
| () Join the ASCII ribbon campaign against html email, Microsoft
| /\ attachments and Software patents. They endanger the World.
| Sign a petition against patents: http://petition.eurolinux.org

- --

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.278 / U:0.220 seconds]