SubjectRe: BK kernel workflow
Hi,

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> > Linus, what disturbs me here is that I don't see that you don't even try
> > to acknowledge that the bk license might be part of problem
>
> Why?

To answer that you should have quoted a bit more: "the annoying part are
the business practices of its owner".

> What's the problem? You don't like it, you don't use it. It's literally
> that simple.

Unfortunately it's not that easy, because you're still missing the point.
I don't care what software you use, I don't care what license Larry uses
for its products. I absolutely don't care.
The problem is that you support a license which limits everyones ability
on how to access the kernel source and gives Larry full control over it.
Give me a good reason, why he can deny me that rather simple request to
get some data out of the repository. On the one hand you blame Andrea for
not developing an alternative, on the other hand we don't have access to
the data to actually help other projects. The kernel source is the data
that we care most about, why can Larry limit the ways we can make use of
it?
Linus, what happened to the early promises, that the data wouldn't be
locked into bk? Is the massively reduced data set in the cvs repository
really all we ever get out of it again?

bye, Roman

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.177 / U:0.564 seconds]