    SubjectRe: The naming wars continue...
    Denis Vlasenko wrote:
    > On Wednesday 27 October 2004 07:21, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    >
    >>Tonnerre wrote:
    >>
    >>>Salut,

    >>>BSD has /X11R6, whilst I'd agree that /opt/xorg is probably a lot more
    >>>appropriate. If you want I can take this discussion back to the X.Org
    >>>folks again, but I don't think it's actually going to change anything.
    >>>

    >>/opt/X (or /usr/X) is really what it probably should be.
    >

    > Why there is any distinction between, say, gcc and X?
    > KDE and Midnight Commander? etc... Why some of them go
    > to /opt while others are spread across dozen of dirs?
    > This seems to be inconsistent to me.

    At one time Sun had the convention that things in /usr could be mounted
    ro on multiple machines. That worked, it predates Linux so Linux was the
    o/s which chose to go another way, and it covered the base things in a
    system.

    That actually seems like a good way to split a networked environment,
    with /bin and /sbin having just enough to get the system up and mount
    /usr. I can't speak to why that is being done differently now.

    I guess someone was nervous about mounting a local /usr/local on a
    (possibly) network mounted /usr and theu /opt, but that's a guess on my
    part as well.

    --
    -bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)