    SubjectRe: lowmem_reserve (replaces protection)
    Andrea Arcangeli <> wrote:
    > So after allocating the highmem pages we invoke kswapd
    > again

    Nope. We don't wake kswapd until the lower zones are below pages_low as
    well. Then we rebalance all the zones which are below pages_high.

    As I say: run a workload mix and monitor /proc/vmstat:

    These should be increasing at rates which are proportional to their size,
    if most allocations have __GFP_HIGHMEM.

    The lower-zone protection thing means that the scanning rate really should
    be proportional to (zone size - (protection from __GFP_HIGHMEM
    allocations)), but it's not too far off at present.

    The balancing of the zone scanning rates is subtle and easy to break. As is
    the balancing of that against slab scanning.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.021 / U:7.060 seconds]