Subject[OT] Re: The naming wars continue...
On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Tonnerre wrote:

> Salut,
>
> On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 11:33:25AM +0300, Denis Vlasenko wrote:
>> Why there is any distinction between, say, gcc and X?
>> KDE and Midnight Commander? etc... Why some of them go
>> to /opt while others are spread across dozen of dirs?
>
> Well.
>
> FHS specifies that everything needed to boot the system should got to
> /bin and /sbin. The base system (build system, etc.) should go to
> /usr. The rest should be /opt/itspackagename.
>
> I'm not quite a FHS fan. I use libexec dirs, but I still have my build
> system under /usr (and my home under /usr/home), and the rest (X, KDE
> et al) lives under /opt.

Hi,

In Gentoo everything goes to /usr/bin or /usr/sbin except very basic
things that are instaled in /bin or /sbin and binary-only packages that
are instaled in /opt (very good idea).

Yes, Linux (or UNIX) directory structure should be changed years ago but
nobody (except GOBO Linux I think) is going to do it. That will require
patching realy big amount of code and changing some standards. If somebody
has time for it feel free to contact me, and I will tell him (or her) what
should be changed to produce The New Directory Standard That Breaks
Everything But Is The Best And Most Sane In The World (TM)... :-)

Grzegorz Kulewski

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:2.293 / U:0.000 seconds]