    SubjectRe: lowmem_reserve (replaces protection)
    On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Nick Piggin wrote:

    > OK that makes sense... it isn't the length of the name, but the fact
    > that that naming convention hasn't proliferated thoughout the 2.6 tree;

    Speaking about not proliferating...

    One thing we need to make sure of is that the lower zone
    protection stuff doesn't put the allocation threshold
    higher than kswapd's freeing threshold.

    Otherwise on a 1GB system, we'll end up cycling most of
    userspace allocations through the 128MB highmem zone,
    instead of falling back to the other zones.

    Note that simply having a small lower zone protection isn't
    enough, if we still cross the kswapd threshold. I suspect
    the lower zone protection should just be off by default,
    except if highmem is at least 5x (or 8x?) bigger than lowmem...