SubjectRe: Let's make a small change to the process
[...]

Just wrote name a few "famous" and "great" kernel hackers :)

> | Sounds reasonable ?
> |

> Sounds too fast. I don't predict having a maintainer for each minor
> release of the kernel (which is what you're saying here essentially), so
> there'd be a need for one or a handfull of maintainers to spend loads of
> time backporting fixes to a quickly mounting set of kernels.

Yes, one maintainer.
But I'm not sure that each minor release of ther kernel needs a .Y version.

> I had <shameless plug> suggested an hour or two ago a scheme where the
> current development model be based off, but periodic releases be made
> "stable," basing on approximately 6 months between releases </shameless
> plug>. I think it's a bit more sane to say that a maintainer may mount
> up 4 kernels in 2 years to backport bugfixes into, if nobody else steps
> up to the plate to help.
>
> Of course, eventually official support has to be dropped in either
> scheme, because the same problem is faced: We can't expect people to
> maintain a continuously mounting number of kernel revisions once the
> workload becomes sufficiently high. A balance must be made between
> dropping support for a non-volitile code base, and maintaining a support
> period sufficiently long.

Not sure I get your point.
Again,
-ac is almost what I'm suggesting but I'd prefer to change it's name
and formalize it publishing the .Y patchset to kernel,org with a name
useful for the users.

Time to sleep now,
I'll flight to Germany tomorrow so I'll be offline till Tuesday.
But hey, you don't need me anymore ;-)

--
Paolo