Subjectusb-storage, hotplug, zip drive disappears after time

I have a few headless fileservers around the place with a usb zip 750
attached ans a cron job taring files to the zip then ejecting it.

it all worked perfectly until I upgraded to 2.6.x ( right upto 2.6.8.1 )

it seems that if the server is booted with the zip attached it doesn't
detect at all , unpluging and reattaching the zip drive makes the machine
detect the zip , where I can ssh in and then run my tar job manually , but
then the server just forgets the zip drive is there. it seems to power
save and disconnect and nothing I can do, from the linux side of the usb
cable, can make it reconnect, is anyone haivng sinilar problems ?

--
John Duthie
E-Mail: <jmduthie@ihug.co.nz>