    SubjectRe: ZONE_PADDING wastes 4 bytes of the new cacheline
    On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 10:49:32PM +1000, Nick Piggin wrote:
    > The current stuff is pretty crufty. I think your changes are
    > far better (aside from the minor fact they won't compile!).

    ;) yes, I still have to finish hooking the new code into the
    page_alloc.c, this was just a preview.

    dropping pages_xx would have been a bigger change so I'm avoiding it for
    now since I agree I would need to add more fields than just min/low/high
    for the realtime and GFP_HIGH features (and most important I couldn't
    remove those 2 branches anywyas). In 2.4 I was ignoring __GFP_HIGH. I
    doubt it makes much difference in practice, but it makes sense in theory
    so I'll keep those new features of course (especially the RT one could
    help in practice too).

    > Also, switching to a calculation that has seen some real-world
    > use would be a good idea before we think about turning it on
    > by default.

    agreed. the value tuning is quite simple to understand this way, it is
    tuned exactly to start to reserve the entire lowmem on a 32G x86 box.
    31G/32 = 0.9G > 800m.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:2.091 / U:0.392 seconds]