SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.9-ac3
Luca Risolia wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 10:54:25 -0400
> Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com> wrote:

>>>This driver does decompression in kernel space, which is not
>>>allowed. That part has to be removed from the driver before
>>>asking for the inclusion in the mainline kernel.
>>
>>What do you mean by "not allowed?"
>

> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-video&m=108627734619978&w=2
>
> Also note how Alan Cox seems not to be actually coherent with his
> previous opinions.

If you're a Republican he's "wishy-washy", if you're a Democrat he's
"flexible and adaptable to changing conditions." If you're not a US
resident you're confused by the previous sentence, please ignore it's an
in-joke (or tragedy).

> Clearly it would nice if it were in
>
>>user space, but it would have to be in EVERY user application to be
>>useful. We have compression in kernel for ppp, and there's only one
>>significant use for that, requiring that every application support every
>>vendor hardware makes it a non-scalable NxM problem.
>

> Hmm..What about a common library finally?

That sounds like the eventual solution. A vendor to common format
conversion library, and with luck someone will be clever and let the
driver select it in a nice acceptable way. Thought: after open an ioctl
to tell you which conversion to use? The optimal mechanics are
inobvious, but I think the library is the right idea.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)