    SubjectRe: 2.6.9-mm1
    On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 03:20:39 -0700, Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org> wrote:

    > - reiser4: not sure, really. The namespace extensions were disabled,
    > although all the code for that is still present. Linus's filesystem
    > criterion used to be "once lots of people are using it, preferably when
    > vendors are shipping it". That's a bit of a chicken and egg thing though.
    > Needs more discussion.

    *Disclamer: My first post to the list, sorry if something's wrong with
    it (blame gmail ;P)*

    I've been using reiser4 in four of my computers since it was in -mm.
    All partitions (excl. /boot), including 2 boxes that have been up
    since (well, reboots for -mm updates from time to time) the reiser4
    conversion and not a hiccup since. I'm always shocked when people
    speak about how my computers are going to blow up, how people who run
    reiser4 must be insane, etc... I've heard it all. Truth is, at the end
    of the day, me, Joe End User, has had no issues. I'm not here to say
    it's perfect (only the programmers know for sure, IANAP), but it's far
    from unpredictable.

    The fs's have taken their share of beatings too, testing the new ACPI
    stuff lately has lead to plenty of lockups and reiser4 deals much
    better than filesystems I have played with in the past.

    What I'm trying to say here is I've seen more instability in other
    places in the kernel lately than I've seen come from reiser4 at all.
    What hurts when including it, when people have the choice not to
    compile in and have the big EXPERIMENTAL warning?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.024 / U:0.796 seconds]