SubjectRe: ZONE_PADDING wastes 4 bytes of the new cacheline
Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 23, 2004 at 08:22:38PM +1000, Nick Piggin wrote:
>
>>It is an unlikely scenario, but it is definitely good for robustness.
>>Especially on small memory systems where the amount allocated doesn't
>>have to be that large.
>>
>>Let's say a 16MB system pages_low ~= 64K, so we'll also say we've
>

> btw, thinking the watermarks linear with the amount of memory isn't
> correct. the watermarks for zone normal against zone normal (i.e. the
> current pages_xx of 2.6) should have an high and low limit indipendent
> on the memory size of the machine. the low limit is what the machine
> needs to avoid locking up in the PF_MEMALLOC paths. So it obviously has
> absolutely nothing to do with the amount of ram in the machine.

No, you are right there of course. However, I think 64K will be the
reality in this case because I just did a sysrq+M and took a look
at my ZONE_DMA (ie. 16MB) limits.

However, it does have something to do with the amount of concurrency
in the system - the chance of multiple tasks in PF_MEMALLOC on a larger
system (with more tasks, more CPUs) will increase of course.

> 64k sounds way too low even for a PDA that doesn't swap, still there are
> PF_MEMALLOC paths in the dcache and fs methods.
>
> but this is just a side note, let's assume 64k would be sane in this
> workload (a page size smaller than 4k that in turn requires less ram to
> execute method on each page object would make it sane for example).

Maybe - I haven't really looked at those paths at all... but yeah it
is a peripheral issue. We can continue that in another thread sometime
:)

>>currently got 64K free. Someone then wants to do an order 4 allocation
>>OK they succeed (assuming memory isn't fragmented) and there's 0K free.
>>
>>Which is bad because you can now get deadlocks when trying to free
>>memory.
>

> I got what you mean, I misread that code sorry, you're perfectly right
> about order being needed in that code.
>
> In 2.4 I had to implement it too of course, it's just much cleaner than
> 2.6.
>
> static inline unsigned long zone_free_pages(zone_t * zone, unsigned int order)
> {
> long free = zone->free_pages - (1UL << order);
> return free >= 0 ? free : 0;
> }
>

> for (;;) {
> zone_t *z = *(zone++);
> if (!z)
> break;
>
> if (zone_free_pages(z, order) > z->watermarks[class_idx].low) {
> page = rmqueue(z, order);
> if (page)
> return page;
> }
> }
>

> this compares with your 2.6 code:
>
> for (i = 0; (z = zones[i]) != NULL; i++) {
> min = z->pages_min;
> if (gfp_mask & __GFP_HIGH)
> min /= 2;
> if (can_try_harder)
> min -= min / 4;
> min += (1<<order) + z->protection[alloc_type];
>
> if (z->free_pages < min)
> continue;
>
> page = buffered_rmqueue(z, order, gfp_mask);
> if (page)
> goto got_pg;
> }

Although you put 2.6 in a bad light with this code ;)
__GFP_HIGH and can_try_harder are pretty important... It
does look like the continue could be replaced with the
2.4 version's negated if statement to be a bit cleaner

> When I was reading "z->free_pages < min" in your code, I was really
> reading like my code here "zone_free_pages(z, order) > z->watermarks[class_idx].low"
> I was taking for given the free_pages - 1UL<<order was already accounted
> in z->free_pages, because I hidden that calculation in a method so I'm
> not used to think about it while reading alloc_pages (I assumed that
> thing was already accounted for in a different function like in 2.4).
>
> Sorry if I'm biased but I read and modified 2.4 many more times than
> 2.6.

That's OK.

>>Oh if you've still got the three watermarks then that may work -
>>I thought you meant getting rid of one of the *completely*.
>>
>>But I'm still not sure what advantage you see in moving from
>>pages_xxx + protection to a single watermark.
>

> then what advantage you get to compute pages_xx + protection at runtime
> when reading a pages_xx that already contains the protection would be
> enough? I avoid computations at runtime and I keep the localized in the
> watermark generation. I doubt it makes much difference but this is the
> way I did in 2.4 and it looks cleaner to me, plus this avoids me to
> reinvent the wheel.

In kswapd you really just want the pages_xxx value (well, pages_high).

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.702 / U:0.112 seconds]