SubjectRe: bkbits - "@" question
Jan Engelhardt <> writes:

>>> * Larry McVoy asked:
>>> The web pages on contain email addresses. This is
>>> probably about a 4 year too late question but would it help reduce
>>> spam if we did something like s/@/ (at) / for all those addresses?
>>> * Christoph Hellwig answered:
>>> No.
>>Why not, please?
> Counter-example... when I stopped posting to NNTP, the amount of spam also
> decreased. Probably because the bots only skim a fixed timeperiod. In a long
> term, I think it's a good choice to replace it. Maybe some PHP magic that
> either puts <at>, [at] or (at) randomly there for each page request.

What's to stop the bots from matching each of those patterns? I have
been using my address openly on mailing lists and USENET for years,
and the spam level has stabilized on a manageable level. It's only
during the outbreak of new viruses that the levels get annoyingly
high, but those are easily filterable.

Måns Rullgård

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.081 / U:2.236 seconds]