    SubjectRe: bkbits - "@" question
    Jan Engelhardt <> writes:

    >>> * Larry McVoy asked:
    >>> The web pages on contain email addresses. This is
    >>> probably about a 4 year too late question but would it help reduce
    >>> spam if we did something like s/@/ (at) / for all those addresses?
    >>> * Christoph Hellwig answered:
    >>> No.
    >>Why not, please?
    > Counter-example... when I stopped posting to NNTP, the amount of spam also
    > decreased. Probably because the bots only skim a fixed timeperiod. In a long
    > term, I think it's a good choice to replace it. Maybe some PHP magic that
    > either puts <at>, [at] or (at) randomly there for each page request.

    What's to stop the bots from matching each of those patterns? I have
    been using my address openly on mailing lists and USENET for years,
    and the spam level has stabilized on a manageable level. It's only
    during the outbreak of new viruses that the levels get annoyingly
    high, but those are easily filterable.

    Måns Rullgård

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.037 / U:31.600 seconds]