SubjectRE: Reporting GPL violations - a little OT
Date

> On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, Danny Brow wrote:
>
> > Just wondering where to report possible GPL violations.
>
> the authors of the software in question are the best place to start.
>
> joelja

My opinion is that you should first report it to the violators. See if they
acknowledge the violation or argue that it's not a violation. If they
acknowledge the violation, see if they fix it. If they argue it's not a
violation, look at their argument and see if it's reasonable.

If you are convinced that it really is a GPL violation and that the
violators either won't acknowledge it or acknowledge it and won't fix it,
then you should report it on the most appropriate public forum associated
with either GPL violations specifically or the application whose license is
being violated.

IMO, for the Linux kernel, the LKML is appropriate once you've exhausted
direct contacts with the violator.

DS

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.045 / U:0.176 seconds]