SubjectRe: Generic VESA framebuffer driver and Video card BOOT?
Kendall Bennett wrote:
> Andi Kleen <ak@muc.de> wrote:
>

>>"Kendall Bennett" <KendallB@scitechsoft.com> writes:
>>
>>>So what do you guys think?
>>
>>How big is the module with emulator etc.?
>

> About 150K compiled on x86 (before linking so that has symbol information
> etc in it).

I searched for the code in the scitech FTP server... If this code is
similar to the one found under "../obsolete/.." then it seems that the
code is somewhat optimized for speed, whereas for video initialization
we probably could rework it to be optimized for code size.

If the complete interpreter could fit in 64k (or something like that)
then the chances of it getting into the kernel would be probably higher
and could solve a lot of problems.

This is a problem I find somewhat interesting, and would be willing to
give it some of my spare time...

--
Paulo Marques - www.grupopie.com

Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

P.S. Aren't there other uses for a in-kernel x86 interpreter?

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.092 / U:3.100 seconds]