SubjectRe: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.9-rc4-mm1-U7

* Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de> wrote:

> Yep, it's all the same scheme. Most of the offending code uses
> MUTEX_LOCKED in an init function and plays the down, and up from a
> different context game, which triggers the deadlock/owner verify. Not
> hard to fix, but at some places it takes a bit, until you see the
> intention of the driver hacker.

the NFS ones seemed to be the least clear ones. I'm glad you converted
those already :-)

> The most surprising one was in driver/base. I did not expect that new
> 2.5/6 code uses those tricks too.

it is not strictly a bug, but that technique was discouraged for years -
completions are cleaner and faster for that purpose anyway. (they were
designed for what in the semaphore case is the slowpath.)

> Fixes for aic7xxx and sym53c8xx_2 attached.

Applied. The sym53c8xx_2 looks good. aic7xxx is good too except for a
minor cleanup issue: i've changed all _sem symbols to be _done symbols.
It's not a semaphore anymore, lets avoid the namespace-rotting effect.
I've put these into -U8 so anyone hitting aic7xxx or sym53c8xx_2 should
re-download the -U8 patch. (others who have already downloaded it should
not bother.)

Ingo

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans