    SubjectRe: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.9-rc4-mm1-U7

    * Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de> wrote:

    > Yep, it's all the same scheme. Most of the offending code uses
    > MUTEX_LOCKED in an init function and plays the down, and up from a
    > different context game, which triggers the deadlock/owner verify. Not
    > hard to fix, but at some places it takes a bit, until you see the
    > intention of the driver hacker.

    the NFS ones seemed to be the least clear ones. I'm glad you converted
    those already :-)

    > The most surprising one was in driver/base. I did not expect that new
    > 2.5/6 code uses those tricks too.

    it is not strictly a bug, but that technique was discouraged for years -
    completions are cleaner and faster for that purpose anyway. (they were
    designed for what in the semaphore case is the slowpath.)

    > Fixes for aic7xxx and sym53c8xx_2 attached.

    Applied. The sym53c8xx_2 looks good. aic7xxx is good too except for a
    minor cleanup issue: i've changed all _sem symbols to be _done symbols.
    It's not a semaphore anymore, lets avoid the namespace-rotting effect.
    I've put these into -U8 so anyone hitting aic7xxx or sym53c8xx_2 should
    re-download the -U8 patch. (others who have already downloaded it should
    not bother.)

    Ingo

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.022 / U:29.320 seconds]