SubjectRe: Linux v2.6.9 and GPL Buyout
On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, Kurt Wall wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 19, 2004, Jeff V. Merkey took 66 lines to troll:
>>
>> Although we do not work with them and are in fact on the the other side
>> of Unixware from a
>> competing viewpoint, SCO has contacted us and identifed with precise
>> detail and factual
>> documentation the code and intellectual property in Linux they claim was
>> taken from Unix.
>> We have reviewed their claims and they appear to create enough
>> uncertianty to warrant
>> removal of the infringing portions.
>
> But, naturally, you can't reveal the precise files and lines of code that
> SCO claim was stolen. For $DEITY's sake, you're still a Canopy stooge and
> hanger on, even though you're smart enough to know better. How much did
> NFT or Canopy give you to agree to this preposterous claim?
>
> Welcome to my killfile.
>
> Kurt

Some people just don't know how to tell a joke! I wonder how
many companies have "non-exclusive" licenses to UNIX from AT&T?
I don't recall SCO buying back any of those licenses. In particular,
AT&T gave a non-exclusive license to many universities, including
UC/Berkeley, where most of the student-written code came from
before there was a Linux. Don't let SCO crap bother you. They
don't have a leg to stand on. They think they "own" Unix while,
in fact, it was given away long before they latched onto its last
craze.

FYI, this DR-DOS is pretty interesting. I knew the founder of
Digital Research, Gary Kildall. They probably would do well
to check their facts before they put a history-rewrite on
their web-pages. I think the DR-DOS is a hack of freedos
and I think they might try the same thing with Linux.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.9 on an i686 machine (5537.79 GrumpyMips).
98.36% of all statistics are fiction.

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans