    SubjectRe: Linux v2.6.9 and GPL Buyout
    Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > despite some naming confusion (expanation: I'm a retard), I did end up
    >doing the 2.6.9 release today. And it wasn't the same as the "-final" test
    >release (see explanation above).
    >Excuses aside, not a lot of changes since -rc4 (which was the last
    >announced test-kernel), mainly some UML updates that don't affect anybody
    >else. And a number of one-liners or compiler fixes. Full list appended.
    > Linus
    The memory sickness with disappearing buffers, and the BIO callback
    problems with the
    SCSI layer previously reported appear to be corrected. This release is
    very solid and
    withstands 400 MB/S I/O to disk from 3GB/1GB split kernel/user memory
    and does not have the disappearing memory problems I was experiencing
    with massive
    BIO/skb I/O loading. The memory pressure being exerted is constant and
    the kernel
    holds steady and stable enough for us to use and ship in our products
    based on our
    testing of the 2.6.9 release over two days.

    On a side note, the GPL buyout previously offered has been modified. We
    will be contacting
    individual contributors and negotiating with each copyright holder for
    the code we wish to
    convert on a case by case basis. The remaining portions of code will
    remain GPL
    The 50K per copy offer still stands for the whole thing if you guys can
    ever figure out
    how to set something like this up.

    Although we do not work with them and are in fact on the the other side
    of Unixware from a
    competing viewpoint, SCO has contacted us and identifed with precise
    detail and factual
    documentation the code and intellectual property in Linux they claim was
    taken from Unix.
    We have reviewed their claims and they appear to create enough
    uncertianty to warrant
    removal of the infringing portions.

    We have identified and removed the infringing portions of Linux for our
    products that
    SCO claims was stolen from Unix. They are:

    JFS, XFS, All SMP support in Linux, and RCU.

    They make claims of other portions of Linux which were taken, however,
    these other claims
    do not appear to be supported with factual evidence.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.139 / U:11.864 seconds]