    SubjectRe: Generic VESA framebuffer driver and Video card BOOT?
    hoi :)

    On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 12:43:41PM -0700, Kendall Bennett wrote:
    > I am not sure what you mean by basic text output? If you mean to a
    > display, then yes, embedded boxes using U-Boot and OpenBIOS usually do
    > not have any text output. But if you mean serial output that is usually
    > the method of choice for the embedded machines that don't have support
    > for a physical display in the firmware.

    I mean: text output on the preferred console.

    Embedded devices have a serial console anyway and all other machines
    have firmware support for drawing text.

    That is: switching into graphics mode can be done by the firmware, bootloader,
    or by userspace and doesn't have to be in the kernel.

    Martin Waitz
      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.021 / U:119.932 seconds]