SubjectRe: ATA/133 Problems with multiple cards
Hi,

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 03:51:36 +0100 (BST), James Stevenson
<james@stev.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i did actually kind of get the card's working together but ran into
> another problem.
>
> when i boot with ide=nodma and then turn on dma manually on all the other
> cards / board chipset etc... they all function fine
>
> then i can only turn the dma up to ATA/100 if i set it to ata/133 it will
> cause the errors. I assume this is something todo with the promise bois
> not setting up the 3rd card at boot time. It only shows drive listing for
> 2 of the 3 cards.

There were very similar problems reported in the past and they were
fixed by replacing power supply with a better one.

Also you shouldn't need to use "ide=nodma" and play with hdparm,
driver should tune the best mode available. If this doesn't work then
something needs fixing.

You can find out if BIOS/driver configures cards correctly by
comparing PCI config space (lspci -xxx) for working/non-working
controller.