SubjectRe: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -VP-2.6.9-rc4-mm1-U3
From
Hi,

Ingo Molnar wrote:

> it seems that SMP + PREEMPT_TIMING is not stable though, somehow the
> latency printk's cause a crash sooner or later. I'm still debugging this
> problem. Without PREEMPT_TIMING the SMP kernel is stable.

Here I go again, while my SMP/HT box still dying on the beach of U4 :)

Finally this time, I've got the serial console logging setup up and
running, and now I'm ready to capture and dump all that I can, regarding
this SMP+PREEMPT_REALTIME issue I'm experiencing.

The main symptom, if you can remember, is that the boot/init sequence
stalls soon or later, in non deterministic point. And its an actual issue
of PREEMPT_REALTIME being set. Without that single config option set, the
kernel boots and runs just fine (which is actually the one running, while
I'm writing this very post).

Attached you may find some of those boot/init sessions, which are just
being taken from capturing the serial console output (ttyS0,115200) via
minicom in the other end of a null modem cable.

The point where the boot/init sequence stalls is marked with a
"<<<---STALL--->>>" line mark. Then it follows the output of SysRq-S
(Sync), SysRq-T (Trace), another SysRq-S (Sync), and finally a SysRq-B
(reBoot).

To me, it looks there's plenty dirt to dig :) Hope it helps.

Take care.
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
rncbc@rncbc.org

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.486 / U:0.160 seconds]