    SubjectRe: Building on case-insensitive systems and systems where -shared doesn't work well
    On Sun, Oct 17, 2004 at 10:47:07AM -0700, Dan Kegel wrote:
    > Herbert Poetzl wrote:
    > >>The only .s/.S ambiguities that need resolving are intermediate files,
    > >>so fixing them should only require changing a few Makefile rules.
    > >>Let's wait and see what the patch looks like before we
    > >>argue about it; maybe it will be simple to make everybody
    > >>happy here (well, except those who hate the idea of
    > >>letting anyone compile Linux kernels on Cgywin or MacOSX).
    > >
    > >fair enough, but Mac OS X doesn't require this (UFS
    > >is case sensititve, and probably no linux guy/gal uses
    > >HFS+), so IMHO it's 'just' Cygwin* folks here ...
    >
    > MacOSX uses HFS+ by default. As a result, 99% of
    > people using MacOSX are going to use HFS+.

    > I'm a serious Linux developer, but if I owned a Mac,
    > I'd probably leave it set to HFS+, since I like
    > to keep my systems vanilla (it makes it easier to
    > pick up my stuff and use it on someone else's machine).

    > Thus it's not just Cygwin that's affected; this is
    > a real issue for MacOSX as commonly configured.

    hmm, well, probably the result of a halfhearted attempt
    to satisfy both, the OpenStep and the MacOS Classic
    developers ... but that doesn't belong here ...

    just as fact:

    # gcc --version

    gcc (GCC) 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1666)

    # man gcc

    file.s
    Assembler code. Apple's version of GCC runs the preprocessor on
    these files as well as those ending in .S.

    file.S
    Assembler code which must be preprocessed.

    # uname -a
    Darwin anson 7.5.0 Darwin Kernel Version 7.5.0: Thu Aug 5 19:26:16 PDT 2004; root:xnu/xnu-517.7.21.obj~3/RELEASE_PPC Power Macintosh powerp

    ONTOPIC:

    why not move the intermediate files into a separate
    subdirectory which can easily be removed on cleanup?

    of course, gcc could also be changed to use different
    extensions than .s and .S for those files ...

    best,
    Herbert