SubjectRe: Spam on the list
On Thu, 14 Oct 2004, James Colannino wrote:

> Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 08:51:10 -0700
> From: James Colannino <lkml@colannino.org>
> To: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
> Subject: Spam on the list
>
> I was just thinking that the list receives a lot of spam.

Compared to my ordinary mailboxes (both private and work) the amount of
spam I get from lkml is quite small.

> Shouldn't the list
> be locked down to be posted to by subsribers only as to curb the bulk of that
> spam?

The traditional reply to that is no. It would prevent a lot of bug-reports
from users from reaching the list as well as other useful stuff from
people who want to contribute one or two things but don't actually want to
read the list.

This is actually covered in the LKML FAQ (http://www.tux.org/lkml/), take
a look at these entries:

http://www.tux.org/lkml/#s3-3

http://www.tux.org/lkml/#s3-14
A small quote from that one "...Some of the good kernel development people
cannot keep up with the volume on linux-kernel. But they do occasionally
post. Therefore we need to keep the submissions open for "everybody". Some
of the other important people have two or three Email addresses. They too
need to post from different addresses. ..."

--
Jesper Juhl