SubjectRe: udev: what's up with old /dev ?
"Harald Dunkel" <harald.dunkel@t-online.de> disait dernièrement que :

> And then?
>
> The sources of kinit show that its job is parse the kernel
> command line arguments, configure the NIC, mount the root
> filesystem via NFS, etc. Other configurations might require
> a different init to start hotplug and udev, or to handle the
> LVM and crypto magic, for example. My point is that if there
> is no one-for-all init process to handle _every_ possible
> startup procedure, then it might be necessary to rebuild the
> initramfs. This would be easier (and easier to test) if
> initramfs is not compiled into the kernel, but a separate
> image to be loaded at boot time "somehow".

yep to test it would be helpful. To setup mine, it took not long, but sure
such a facility could help. But you know, if you do not run make clean, and you
have edited usr/Makefile to not rebuild initramfs, puting your custom cpio
archive into usr and typing 'make' won't take long to rebuild the new kernel :)
I did that to get it working.

As to know if having an external archive file loaded by grub or so, I don't
know much that part of the kernel code... Hum, I really did not try to under-
stand the code involving initrd's and initramfs in init/do_mounts_initrd.c.
I wonder whether putting an executable /init in an initrd is sufficient to
have it recognized as an initramfs and not an initrd....

The important thing is /init executable script in initramfs, this is what
tells the kernel to override the "standard" way it boots.

Mathieu

--
The policy is not to have policy. It works as well in kernel design as politics.

- Alan Cox on linux-kernel