    SubjectRe: Choosing scatter/gather limits
    Russell King wrote:

    >On Mon, Oct 11, 2004 at 12:53:23PM +0200, Pierre Ossman wrote:
    >

    >>I've been adding scatter/gather support for the MMC host driver I'm
    >>writing. I cannot find any documentation on how to chose the limits though.
    >>

    >It seems that you have to read the block layer code to find out what's
    >going on with these limits. There's some documentation on it in
    >Documentation/block/bio.txt. If it's lacking, then please send
    >comments to the block layer people to add the necessary information.

    I just wanted to make sure I don't pick values that causes problems
    somewhere else. I'll make an attempt to dig through the bio code though.

    >Please also note that I'm intending to make the MMC host drivers
    >know nothing about block IO stuff, so all you'll be passed is the
    >MMC commands and a scatter gather list - so making sure that your
    >driver always uses blk_rq_map_sg() and works from the SG list will
    >ensure that your driver remains easy to update.

    Shouldn't be a problem. The SGIO support in the driver is done. Just
    need to get rid of all bugs.

    Rgds
    Pierre

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.020 / U:61.380 seconds]