SubjectRe: [RFC] [patch] drm core internal versioning..
Dave Airlie wrote:
> An issue raised by DRM people with the new drm core is how to stop users
> shotting themselves in the foot when upgrading drm modules from CVS and
> mixing up cores and drivers...
>
> This patch (against DRM CVS) proposes a simple internal version that gets
> passed from the module to the core, when built in-kernel, it gets set to
> default DRM_INTERNAL_VERSION_KERNEL, when built in DRM CVS or snapshot, it
> gets DRM_INTERNAL_VERSION_EXTERNAL, a core built in one will refuse to
> load a module build in the other..
>
> This is quite a simple solution that should stop the most obvious issue,
> it doesn't stop people updating CVS drivers on top of themselves but my
> view is anyone doing this is either following our scripts or knows what
> they are doing...

I guess I don't get it. We want to prevent a DRM module that requires
core API N with a drm_core that exports M, M != N, right? So why not do
that? In that model don't you just need DRM_INTERNAL_VERSION? With the
setup you propose it seems like we could still have problems. If a user
installs a snapshot, then installs just a DRM from a later snapshot, etc.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.085 / U:0.608 seconds]