SubjectRe: 2.6: The hardware reports a non fatal, correctable incident occured on CPU 0.
Date
On Friday 09 January 2004 10:48 am, lkml@nitwit.de wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I did have some very scary issues today playing with 2.6. The system was
> booted and ran several times today, the longtest uptime was approximately
> about an hour.
>
> But then shortly after having booted 2.6 I got syslog messages:
>
> The hardware reports a non fatal, correctable incident occured on CPU 0.
>
> I shut down the machine. After this my Athlon XP 2200+ showed up as 1050MHz
> in BIOS an indeed the bus frequency was set to 100 instead of 133 MHz (how
> can an OS change the BIOS?!) - nevertheless the CPU should have shown up as
> 1500MHz. I set it back to 133 MHz - which resulted in the machine did not
> even reach the BIOS no more but was rebooting automatically prior to it. I
> turned off the machine for some seconds - no change. I turned it off for a
> few minutes and the BIOS showed up again - with 1050MHz. So I had to set
> the freq back to 133 MHz a second time. I booted my 2.4.21 kernel which
> seems to run.
Check your hardware CPU/MOBO/RAM. Overheating? Bad Ram? Cheap mobo?
MCE should not be triggered under any circumstances unless it is a kernel
bug(RARE, I believe the MCE code is simple) or you REALLY have a hardware
problem. As said before, the bios is resetting your fsb to 100 as a fail-safe
because something bad happened.
BTW, check your setup, an AMD 2200+ should run at 1.8ghz i believe. If you
are setting your FSB or multiplier too low, that might also be triggering a
problem. A quick google lists amd xp2200+ as 1800mhz

> What the fuck is going on here?? As far as I figured out this has something
> to do with MCE (CONFIG_X86_MCE=y, CONFIG_X86_MCE_NONFATAL=y) (?).
Leave it enabled, its a good thing to tell you when you have bad hardware.
Its not a kernel problem, but a feature.