SubjectRe: removable media revalidation - udev vs. devfs or static /dev
 On Wed, Jan 07, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> This works. I do it all the time. You just stick in your card, and mount
> it, and off it foes. No "fdisk" or "parted" _anywhere_.

This is the point. You do it, and I do it. We just know that device and
have it configured somehow.
Now what should a distro do for these 'unknown' devices? Add 15 fstab
entries and let KDE put 15 icons on the desktop (for that ZIP) and give
the user a choice?

Like you said in another mail:
If you insert a smartmedia card in your cardreader, you expect to be
able to access it pretty much immediately when you start typing.

Noone knows in advance what media will be inserted. So we have to poll
if the hardware doesnt inform us.
We can make an assumption and add just one icon with a smart application
behind it. This app does the 'blockdev --rereadpt /dev/hdd' on request,
and not every 2 seconds.

--
USB is for mice, FireWire is for men!

sUse lINUX ag, nÜRNBERG