SubjectRe: udev and devfs - The final word
 On Wed, Dec 31, viro@parcelfarce.linux.theplanet.co.uk wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 31, 2003 at 05:20:18PM -0500, Rob Love wrote:
> > On Wed, 2003-12-31 at 17:01, Nathan Conrad wrote:

> > Uh, Unix systems (Linux included) do not use the filename of the device
> > node at all. Those are just names for you, the user.
> >
> > The kernel uses the device number to understand what device user-space
> > is trying to access. The kernel associates the device with a device
> > number. Normally that number is static, and known a priori, so we just
> > create a huge /dev directory with all possible devices and their
> > assigned numbers (you can see these numbers with ls -la).
> >
> > But if the kernel _tells_ user-space what the device number is, for each
> > device as it is created, we do not need a static /dev directory. We can
> > assemble the directory on the fly and device numbers really no longer
> > matter. This is what udev does.
>
> I think you've missed a point here. There are several places where kernel
> deals with device identification.
> a) when normal pathname lookup results in a device node on filesystem.
> That's the regular way.
> b) when we create a new device node; device number is passed to
> ->mknod() and new device node is created. Also a normal codepath.
> c) when late-boot code mounts the final root. It used to be black
> magic, but these days it's done by regular syscalls. Namely, we parse the
> "device name" (most of the work is done by lookups in sysfs), do mknod(2)
> and mount(2). It's still done from the kernel mode, but it could be moved
> to userland. Should be, actually.
> d) when kernel deals with resume/suspend stuff. Currently - black
> magic. Should be moved to early userland (same parser as for final root
> name + mknod on rootfs + open() to get the device in question).
> e) in several pathological syscalls we pass device number to
> identify a device. ustat(2) and its ilk - bad API that can't die.
> f) /dev/raw passes device number to bind raw device to block device.
> Bad API; we probably ought to replace it with saner one at some point.
> g) RAID setup - mix of both pathologies; should be done in userland
> and interfaces are in bad need of cleanup.
> h) nfsd uses device number as a substitute for export ID if said
> ID is not given explicitly. That, BTW, is a big problem for crackpipe
> dreams about random device numbers - export ID _must_ be stable across
> reboots.
> i) mtdblk parses "device name" on boot; should be take to early
> userland, same as RAID et.al.

This is about the /proc/self/mounts format:

Why does it contain stuff like "/dev/root" or "/dev/sda3" or
"/dev/myblockdevice"? Does anyone __really__ care about it? I doubt
that. What I have here (with 2.4) is:

olh@melon:~> cat /proc/mounts
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/root / ext3 rw 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0
/dev/vg_melon/abuild /abuild ext3 rw 0 0
/dev/vg_melon/data1 /data1 ext3 rw 0 0
/dev/vg_melon/data2 /data2 ext3 rw 0 0
shmfs /dev/shm shm rw 0 0
automount(pid937) /suse autofs rw 0 0
wotan:/real-home/jplack /suse/jplack nfs rw,nosuid,v3,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,hard,intr,tcp,nolock,addr=wotan 0 0
wotan:/real-home/olh /suse/olh nfs rw,nosuid,v3,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,hard,intr,tcp,nolock,addr=wotan 0 0

Now, thats just fine and it was always been that way.
What if I chroot into /foo, proc is mounted on /foo/proc,
and run fsck /dev/sda3 in that chroot?
That silly app looks for /etc/mtab (oh my...) and start the work.
Fine. Now, /dev/root is in reality /dev/sda3. Bad for me.

the whole thing would work as expected of /proc/self/mounts would have
a sane format:
olh@melon:~> cat /proc/mounts
0:0 / rootfs rw 0 0
8:3 / ext3 rw 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0
58:0 /abuild ext3 rw 0 0
58:1 /data1 ext3 rw 0 0
58:2 /data2 ext3 rw 0 0
shmfs /dev/shm shm rw 0 0
automount(pid937) /suse autofs rw 0 0
wotan:/real-home/jplack /suse/jplack nfs rw,nosuid,v3,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,hard,intr,tcp,nolock,addr=wotan 0 0
wotan:/real-home/olh /suse/olh nfs rw,nosuid,v3,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,hard,intr,tcp,nolock,addr=wotan 0 0

Now fsck could look for /dev/sda3, realize that it is a block
device node and look for that in the kernel mount table.
If it is mounted, abort with a nice and meaningful error message.

So my question is: why was this strange format invented in the first place?
And: will 2.7 get a sane /proc/self/mounts format for block devices?

--
USB is for mice, FireWire is for men!

sUse lINUX ag, nÜRNBERG