    SubjectRe: removable media revalidation - udev vs. devfs or static /dev
    On Wed, Jan 07 2004, Olaf Hering wrote:
    > On Wed, Jan 07, Jens Axboe wrote:
    >
    > > No need to put it in the kernel, user space fits the bil nicely. I don't
    > > see how this would lead to IO errors?
    >
    > Ok, how should it be done on my SCSI and parallel port ZIP? An ATAPI ZIP
    > with 2.4 behaves like that:
    >

    > nectarine:~ # blockdev --rereadpt /dev/hdd
    > /dev/hdd: Eingabe-/Ausgabefehler
    > nectarine:~ # dmesg | tail
    > nfs: server Hilbert2 OK
    > nfs: server Hilbert3 not responding, still trying
    > nfs: server Hilbert3 OK
    > nfs: server Hilbert3 not responding, still trying
    > nfs: server Hilbert3 OK
    > nfs: server Hilbert2 not responding, still trying
    > nfs: server Hilbert2 OK
    > ide-floppy: hdd: I/O error, pc = 0, key = 2, asc = 3a, ascq = 0
    > ide-floppy: hdd: I/O error, pc = 1b, key = 2, asc = 3a, ascq = 0
    > hdd: No disk in drive
    > nectarine:~ # cat /proc/ide/hdd/model
    > IOMEGA ZIP 100 ATAPI

    Two problems here. First, ide-floppy should not verbosely fail these
    commands (2/3a/00 is 'medium not present'). Second, you are not using
    the proper mechanism to detect media events.

    > I have not checked 2.6, but I doubt it is smarter.

    I doubt ide-floppy behaves any differently. But at least you can send
    packet commands generically to any atapi/scsi device in 2.6, so the code
    has a chance to work a bit more generically (without tons of ugly and
    different ioctls for each device type).

    --
    Jens Axboe