    SubjectRe: removable media revalidation - udev vs. devfs or static /dev
     On Sat, Jan 03, Jens Axboe wrote:

    > On Sat, Jan 03 2004, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
    > > > Is there really no way to get a media change notification from ZIP or
    > > > JAZ drives?
    > >
    > > If anyone knows please tell me - I will put it into supermount ...
    > >
    > > AFAIK in case of SCSI this is impossible simply by virtue of protocol - SCSI
    > > device is not initiator. So you need something to poll device for status.
    > > That is usually done on device open except in this case you can't open
    > > because you do not yet have handle.
    > You could queue a media notification request for long periods of time,
    > being completed by the drive when a media change happens. At least mmc
    > allows for this, doubt anyone has ever done it.
    > So yeah, poll...

    Poll how? "kmediachangethread"? Or polling in userland? The latter would
    (probably) lead to endless IO errors. Not very good.
    If I understand the Darwin sources correctly, a polling is used. But I
    havent looked hard how they do it.

    USB is for mice, FireWire is for men!

    sUse lINUX ag, nÜRNBERG

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.021 / U:0.996 seconds]