    SubjectRe: Strange IDE performance change in 2.6.1-rc1 (again)
    On Wednesday 07 January 2004 20:23, Ram Pai wrote:
    > I tried on my lab machine with scsi disks. (I dont have access currently
    > to a spare machine with ide disks.)
    > I find that reverting the changes in mm/filemap.c and then reverting the
    > lazy-read optimization gives much better sequential read performance on
    > blockdevices. Is this your observation on IDE disks too?

    Yes and No.
    I have only tried to revert lazy-read optimization (without any visible
    change) so I have reapplied it AND THAN I have reverted changes in
    mm/filemap.c... and performance has gone back.

    > > I don't know why... but it does.
    > Lets see. I think my theory is partly the reason. But the changes in
    > filemap.c seems to be influencing more.

    YES, I agree.
    I haven't done a lot of tests but it seems to me that the changes in
    mm/filemap.c are the only things that influence the sequential read
    performance on my disk.

    Paolo Ornati
    Linux v2.4.23

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.021 / U:29.532 seconds]