SubjectRe: Strange IDE performance change in 2.6.1-rc1 (again)
On Wednesday 07 January 2004 20:23, Ram Pai wrote:
> I tried on my lab machine with scsi disks. (I dont have access currently
> to a spare machine with ide disks.)
> I find that reverting the changes in mm/filemap.c and then reverting the
> lazy-read optimization gives much better sequential read performance on
> blockdevices. Is this your observation on IDE disks too?

Yes and No.
I have only tried to revert lazy-read optimization (without any visible
change) so I have reapplied it AND THAN I have reverted changes in
mm/filemap.c... and performance has gone back.

> > I don't know why... but it does.
> Lets see. I think my theory is partly the reason. But the changes in
> filemap.c seems to be influencing more.

YES, I agree.
I haven't done a lot of tests but it seems to me that the changes in
mm/filemap.c are the only things that influence the sequential read
performance on my disk.

Paolo Ornati
Linux v2.4.23

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.127 / U:6.396 seconds]