SubjectRe: st_dev:st_ino
Mark Mielke <mark@mark.mielke.cc> writes:

> On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 08:43:27PM -0500, Jeremy Maitin-Shepard wrote:
>> Unfortunately, programs such as tar depend on inode numbers of distinct
>> files being distinct even when the file is not open over a period of
>> several minutes/seconds. This is needed to avoid dumping hard links
>> more than once. Furthermore, there is no efficient way to write
>> programs such as tar without depending on this capability. Thus, if
>> st_ino cannot be used reliably for this purpose, it would be useful for
>> there to be a system call for retrieving a true
>> unique-within-the-filesystem identifier for the file.

> We already have that: st_nlink

> I think you mean a system call that would allow you to be certain that
> two file descriptors refer to the same file. Then, any files with
> st_nlink >= 2 would have to use the system call to match them up.

In order to efficiently implement tar, it is necessary to store the
inode numbers for files with a link count greater than 1 in a hash
table. It would not be practical to keep open all of these files in
order to ensure that the inode numbers remain valid. Thus, a different
unique identifier is needed, which is unique even for files that are not
open.

--
Jeremy Maitin-Shepard