    SubjectRe: TG3: very high CPU usage
    At 08:15 PM 31/01/2004, JG wrote:
    >well, i did a thorough cable test with a DSP-4100 fluke networks cable
    >tester and i had some bad values. i've been using 3 cables (24m) with
    >adapters, all single cables were fine, so the adapters seemed to cause the
    >but i'm now using a longer x-over cable (30m) where i also get those speed
    >problems. it is a *bit* better, i get about 1-2MB/s in both directions,
    >but i'm also experiencing a very high error rate over the x-over
    >cable...(~40-50 errors per second)

    if you get ANY errors, then its bad; even 1 error per second basically
    means "one lost packet per second", which will severly limit your TCP

    one thing you may want to do to is drop the link to 100mbit/s rather than
    gig-e; that will use less cable pairs and may avoid the problem.
    100mbit/s without errors will likely be way way faster than 1000mbit/s with
    50 errors/sec.

    >do you have this BACS software and is it possible to test the NIC itself
    >with it? maybe one of my NICs is causing this.

    it seems there is only a Windows version of their diagnostics.
    personally, i use IBM xSeries servers. their version of the BACS code is
    at <>.
    i've seen other servers (e.g. Compaq DL360?) that also use the BCM57xx;
    their BACS tool is rebadged as being a HP tool.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:00    [W:0.020 / U:32.024 seconds]