    SubjectRe: xterm scrolling speed - scheduling weirdness in 2.6 ?!
    Date
    On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 10:35, Willy Tarreau wrote:
    > 6) Conclusion
    > =============
    >
    > Under 2.4, xterm uses jump scrolling which it does not use by default under
    > 2.6 if X responds fast enough. The first dirty solution which comes to mind
    > is to renice X to >+10 to slow it a bit so that xterm hits the high water
    > level and jumps.
    >
    > But it's not an effect of the scheduler alone, but a side effect of the
    > scheduler and xterm both trying to automatically adjust their behaviour in
    > a different manner.

    Not quite. The scheduler retains high priority for X for longer so it's no new
    dynamic adjustment of any sort, just better cpu usage by X (which is why it's
    smoother now at nice 0 than previously).

    > If either the scheduler or xterm was a bit smarter or
    > used different thresholds, the problem would go away. It would also explain
    > why there are people who cannot reproduce it. Perhaps a somewhat faster or
    > slower system makes the problem go away. Honnestly, it's the first time
    > that I notice that my xterms are jump-scrolling, it was so much fluid
    > anyway.

    Very thorough but not a scheduler problem as far as I'm concerned. Can you not
    disable smooth scrolling and force jump scrolling?

    Con

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.023 / U:29.644 seconds]