SubjectRe: xterm scrolling speed - scheduling weirdness in 2.6 ?!
On Sat, 2004-01-03 at 20:40, Mark Hahn wrote:
> > yeah, I think so... but as generating output in a shell is a very common
> > thing to do there should either be an option to turn that unwanted
> > behaviour off or to fix this issue...
>
> has anyone said it's desired behavior? you probably need to describe
> your setup more. for instance, is your X niced to negative? are there
> some background processes which would be consuming cycles?

freshly booted system with X running at niceness 0 no other processes consume cpu cycles.

it is reproducable by creating any kind of output which reads from disk... so
i.e. a find ./ in my home directory takes sometimes like 30 minutes on
2.6 (100%cpu load) and sometimes 5 minutes (on 2.4 always 5 minutes
~40%load).

dmesg is another candidate... just doing cat <file> seems not to trigger
that problem.

As Willy Tarreau also oberves this very same weirdness - I now know the
problem is there and it is not specific to my setup.

Soeren.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.107 / U:0.100 seconds]