    SubjectRe: [OT] Crazy idea: Design open-source graphics chip
    Quote from Stephen Smoogen <>:
    > On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 18:11, Christian Unger wrote:
    > > Oh ... don't get me wrong, i think that the conceptual idea is awesome.
    > > Personally, i wouldn't know where to begin, but can the open source community
    > > compete with Nvidia and ATI? afterall this goes beyond software, it delves
    > Well I think the first problem is that the idea is currently too big. If
    > someone were to do this sucessfully they would make the first open cards
    > something like a Trident 8900C. Something small but usable for people
    > who need it. The next cards would add onto it, and so on and so on until
    > you got a base that would meet the 3D ATI/Nvidia needs. Trying to aim
    > for the top at the beginning is a great way to crater.

    A simple framebuffer connected to the parallel port would be trivial
    to make, and it would be suprisingly useful for simple applications
    such as word processing. Literally a handful of components soldered
    on to a piece of stripboard and well written drivers for the
    framebuffer console and X is all it would take. No need for anything
    remotely fancy at first.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:00    [W:0.024 / U:9.700 seconds]