    SubjectRe: [patch] 2.6.1-mm5 compile do not use shared extable code for ia64

    Paul> David Mosberger writes:
    >> How about the attached one? It will touch memory more when
    >> moving an element down, but we're talking about exception tables
    >> here, and I don't think module loading time would be affected in
    >> any noticable fashion.

    Paul> Hmmm... Stylistically I much prefer to pick up the new
    Paul> element, move the others up and just drop the new element in
    Paul> where it should go, rather than doing swap, swap, swap down
    Paul> the list.

    The original code may be slightly faster, but who cares? From a
    readability point of view, I think my version is easier to understand.

    Paul> Also, I don't think there is enough code there to be worth the
    Paul> bother of trying to abstract the generic routine so you can
    Paul> plug in different compare and move-element routines. The
    Paul> whole sort routine is only 16 lines of code, after all. Why
    Paul> not just have an ia64-specific version of sort_extable?
    Paul> That's what I thought you would do.

    That's certainly an option. It was Andrew who called for a generic
    version. I tend to agree with him because even though it's just a
    little sort routine, it's one of those things where stupid errors tend
    to creep in. And like I mentioned earlier, Alpha needs the exact same
    code (and frankly, I'm surprised there are 64-bit platforms that do
    NOT use the location-relative format that Richard invented).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:00    [W:0.020 / U:1.988 seconds]