    SubjectRe: Is there a way to keep the 2.6 kjournald from writing to idle disks? (to allow spin-downs)
    Date
    In article <20040125205219.GE26600@luna.mooo.com>,
    Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il> wrote:

    | There are two things to do. First you should mount the disk with the
    | noatime option.

    Hopefully on an idle system there isn't any access, so there isn't any
    atime impact. It would be nice if the atime write was very lazy, as in
    only when the file is closed or something. Like an atimeonclose option.

    | The other thing is ext3 which is updating its journal every 5
    | seconds. I was told that laptop-mode was imported into 2.6 by now (I
    | think that it is in the main stream). Check the kernel docs there
    | should be some mount option to state the dirty time for the ext3
    | journal. The method changed since 2.4 so I don't remember the 2.6
    | option since I don't use it yet, sorry.

    Someone will have to explain that one, in a normal mount I would not
    expect an idle system to be doing anything on the filesystems.
    --
    bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
    CTO, TMR Associates, Inc