SubjectRe: PATCH to access old-style FAT fs
Date
Followup to:  <20040126173949.GA788@frodo.local>
By author: Frodo Looijaard <frodol@dds.nl>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> Hi folks,
>
> I have created and attached a new version of my old-style FAT filesystem
> patch, this time for the 2.6.0 kernel. It can also be found on
> http://debian.frodo.looijaard.name/.
>
> Some old implementation of the FAT standard mark the end of the
> directory file index by inserting a filename beginning with a byte 00.
> All entries after it should be ignored, even though they are not marked
> as deleted. At least some EPOC releases (an OS used on Psion PDAs, for
> example) still use this policy.

It's not just "old implementations" -- it's the spec.

After reaching a filename beginning with 00, no further data should be
assumed to be in that filesystem. MS-DOS itself would only do that
when formatting the filesystem, so *all* the subsequent entries would
be assumed to start with 00, but that doesn't really seem to be to
spec.

-hpa

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:00    [W:0.076 / U:0.000 seconds]