    SubjectRe: Is there a way to keep the 2.6 kjournald from writing to idle disks? (to allow spin-downs)
    On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 07:29:30PM +0100, Lutz Vieweg wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I run a server that usually doesn't have to do anything on the local
    > filesystems,
    > it just needs to answer some requests and perform some computations in RAM.
    >
    > So I use the "hdparm -S 123" parameter setting to keep the (IDE) system
    > disk from
    > spinning unneccessarily.
    >
    > Alas, since an upgrade to kernel 2.6 and ext3 filesystem, I cannot find a
    > way to
    > let the harddisk spin down - I found out that "kjournald" writes a few
    > blocks every
    > few seconds.
    >
    > As I wouldn't like to downgrade to ext2: Is there any way to keep the 2.6
    > kjournald
    > from writing to idle disks?
    >
    > I cannot see a good reason why kjournald would write when there are no
    > dirty buffers -
    > but still it does.

    There are two things to do. First you should mount the disk with the
    noatime option.
    The other thing is ext3 which is updating its journal every 5
    seconds. I was told that laptop-mode was imported into 2.6 by now (I
    think that it is in the main stream). Check the kernel docs there
    should be some mount option to state the dirty time for the ext3
    journal. The method changed since 2.4 so I don't remember the 2.6
    option since I don't use it yet, sorry.