SubjectRe: 2.6.1 + XFS wierdness
mru@kth.se (Måns Rullgård) writes:

> Igor <ivi@runbox.com> writes:
>
> > Ok, as advised I'm reporting what happened to my system:
> > I run Kernel 2.6.1 with XFS on a laptop, I forgot to send it to "sleep"
> > and battery died, so there was unclean unmount (This is, what I
> > believe was the cause),
> > at some point after I restarted my system many of the files couldn't
> > be executed:
> > "binary file can't be executed reported", However the system was
> > functional and I could boot it.
> > So I hexopened some of the problematic files and found that although
> > the size of the file is maintained, there was no data, every byte was
> > replaced by 0, I guess it was lucking reference on a hard drive or
> > maybe something else. The reason I think the root of the problem is
> > filesystem + kernel because the "corrupted" files have nothing in
> > common, e.g:
> > /usr/bin/file
> > /etc/init.d/cron
> > /usr/bin/lynx
> > and that only happened when I updated kernel to 2.6.1
>
> See http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/faq.html#nulls

I don't think his description fits the FAQ.
The XFS 0 problem should only happen to files that have been written
shortly before the crash.
Zeroing/destroying random files that haven't been written looks more like a
bug (either in XFS or in a driver)

-Andi

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:00    [W:0.039 / U:0.084 seconds]