    SubjectRe: [OT] Confirmation Spam Blocking was: List 'linux-dvb' closed to public posts

    David> Considering that Bayesian filters are useless against the new
    David> spam that is proliferating these days, that's laughable. Spam
    David> now comes with a good 5-10K of random dictionary words.

    Well if thats the case, then I wonder why the random word spams
    stopped getting through my filters after I spent the appropriate time
    training my Bayesian filters. I must have done something that made the
    spammers laugh so hard they didn't bother spamming me anymore.

    David> If you can't handle clicking on a link to authorize your email,
    David> then I'm not interested in your email. If that tiny few seconds
    David> of effort is a waste of your time, then writing your email to
    David> me was also a waste of your time.

    Well now we're getting to the laughable part: by expecting people to
    'click on a link you obviously assume that everybody uses a GUI mail
    client. Guess what, I don't have the patience for that. So guess what,
    having to launch a web browser and copy-pasting a random link into it
    in order to send you email makes me uninterested in mailing you in the
    first place.

    David> Getting well over 900 spams a day on average, almost double on
    David> mondays, just isn't my cup of tea. There is no one solution to
    David> spam. I pre-filter with spamassassin using all it's tools,
    David> anything scoring high automatically gets /dev/nulled. Those
    David> include bayesian, pattern matches, DNSBL, etc. Next I attempt
    David> to filter viruses and the like. The remainder goes through
    David> TMDA.

    Maybe you should consider using it properly, guess what it does work.

    David> Hmm, 900 spams in my mailbox, or half a dozen due to lists.
    David> I'll take the second.

    600 spams in my spambox over the last 48 hours, _1_ in my inbox, guess
    that speaks for itself.

    'nuff said, back to spending time on real issues, such as fixing
    kernel bugs.

    Jes

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:00    [W:3.187 / U:0.084 seconds]