    SubjectRe: ALSA vs. OSS
    Me too.  I cannot get ALSA working on my SB Live.

    If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion: Maybe the developer in
    charge of ALSA's e-mu driver could work with us poor unfortunates.
    There may be some commonality between our systems that causes this
    (besides the sound blaster live).

    My system:
    Sound: SBLive Value
    Redhat 7.3 (w/ piecemeal recompiles & upgrades)
    Kernel: 2.6.1
    CPU: Athlon XP 2100+
    Mobo: ASUS (I think it's A7V333. I can confirm this later.)

    -- Mark "runnin' dirty and deprecated" Borgerding

    Heinz Ulrich Stille wrote:

    >On Monday 19 January 2004 19:21, Travis Morgan wrote:
    >

    >>I have a soundblaster Live Value card. I can no longer control the
    >>

    >I also have a SB Live!, and it doesn't work with ALSA at all - the AC97
    >codec doesn't load. I haven't taken the time to track it down as it does
    >work just fine with OSS (under SMP at that).
    >

    >>output level through my digital out. With OSS my PCM volume used to
    >>affect both the headphone jack and the digital out. With ALSA it affects
    >>only the headphone jack.
    >>

    >That's a purely firmware thing with this card; you should just have to
    >load the right patches. I don't know whether there is a loader utility
    >for alsa, though. Perhaps the old utils will work?
    >
    >Anyway, even if it's not working for me at the moment, it's still the
    >superior architecture; just wait until the bugs affecting your specific
    >situation are ironed out and userland utilities are available...
    >
    >MfG, Ulrich

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:00    [W:0.030 / U:178.520 seconds]